"Drop in" replacement for imap-UW?

Richard Gehlbach rdgehlba at gehlbach.com
Sat Jan 12 09:25:58 PST 2008

Joe in MPLS wrote:
> I've been running imap-UW on FreeBSD 6.x STABLE for a while. Clients
> are mostly Thunderbird, TREOs and Horde (running on the same box.
>
> I'm having issues when multiple clients try to access the same user's
> mailbox. Typically the TREO will do a scheduled check for new mail
> while Thunderbird has it already open. Research indicates that this is
> a limitation of the UW imapd implementation.
We ran into this problem on shared access to mail, and found it was an
issue with locks against the mailbox.  Take a look at the mbx format in
the UW's formats.txt file -
http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/formats.txt.html - and the
FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html#4.5.  I
understand that not all clients support this format.  We are using it
successfully with Thunderbird and Squirrelmail.  It allows simultaneous
mail access, deletions, etc.

> Can anyone recommend a good and secure imapd implementation that won't
> require a ton of reconfiguration? Mostly I'd like the replacement to
> be able to use all the existing end-user imap folders and mail spools.
> All users have accounts and mail spools on the box. There's no virtual
> users or database authentication backends to deal with.
>
>        TIA     ...jgm

Richard D. Gehlbach                   Gehlbach Consulting Services
rdgehlba at gehlbach.com                 3321 Pepperhill Ct.
859.269.6658  Fax 859.266.7446        Lexington, KY  40502

believed to be clean.