BACKUP: multiple DVDs, burning from pipe

Jan Sebosik sebosik at demax.sk
Fri Jan 11 09:33:21 PST 2008

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:15:32AM +0100, sebosik at demax.sk wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> is there any way how to backup filesystem with ACL's and permissions
>> directly from stdin to multiple DVDs?
>
> With a little work, yes.
>
> The only way to backup UFS filesystems with ACLs etc is dump. Make sure
> that you have a filesystem with >4GB free space. Add a directory on this
> fs, and set the nodump flag.
>
> Have a look at the 'dodumps' script on my FreeBSD page;
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/index.html#backups
>
> If you use dump like I do in dodumps, it splits the output in DVD-sized
> chunks. After every chunk, it waits for you to type 'yes' to proceed.
>
> So what you can do is burn the first dumpfile to a DVD (don't bother
> wrapping a cd9660 fs around it), delete it, and then continue with the dump.
>
> Alternatively, you could buy an external USB harddisk which will have
> room to spare and save you dumps on that. :-)
>
> Roland

Hi

I just wanted to do backup of some machines (Linux & FreeBSD mixed
env.). Every machine has DVD burner and directory that is bigger than
media size (>4GB). I thought about some universal solution for both OSs.
I found project called cdbackup, but it is only avaliable for Linux.
Combined with star I think it should be enough for my needs.