Unable to unmount idle filesystem on 6.2

Marc Silver marcs at draenor.org
Fri Jan 11 00:55:37 PST 2008

Hi there,

Strange problem.  The only thing I could possibly think of is to try and
install lsof from the ports tree and see if that can identify what may
be using this particular mount.

Short of that, dropping to single user mode/rebooting may be your only
other option as far as I am aware.

Cheers,
Marc

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 11:18:46PM -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> I'm unable to unmount an idle filesystem (or even drop it to
> read-only):
>
> # mount
> /dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local, noatime)
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
> /dev/da0s1d on /var (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/da0s1e on /usr (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/da0s1fp1 on /usr/obj (ufs, asynchronous, local, noatime)
> /dev/da0s1fp2 on /usr/ports (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/da0s1fp3 on /usr/src (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/da0s2d on /data (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
>
> # fstat -f /usr/ports
> USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W
>
> # umount /usr/ports
> umount: unmount of /usr/ports failed: Device busy
>
> # umount -f /usr/ports
> umount: unmount of /usr/ports failed: Device busy
>
> # mount -o ro /usr/ports
> mount: /dev/da0s1fp2: Operation not permitted
>
> # uname -r
> 6.2-RELEASE-p8

Light up the Darkness.
  - Bob Marley