mail from: field question

Jim Bow jimbow at darq.net
Thu Jan 10 02:46:36 PST 2008

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> The answer will probably depend on the MTA you're using (which you
> didn't mention, so it's probably sendmail)

You've guessed it. Its out-of-the-box sendmail.

> Run the script from the command line and in particular just call
 > mail the way the script does.

If I run the script (or just send a mail) on the command line using
sudo, then it's sent as me and not root. Same happens if I su to root first.

The only way I can get it to be sent from root is if I explicitly login
as root.

>  Make sure the results are the same (if they're not, the MTA isn't
 > the problem).

So it looks like it isn't. What can be the cause of this then?

Thanks for your help.

JimBow