Frequent DHCP requests from Wii

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Wed Jan 9 18:47:06 PST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Do you have an entry like:
>
>  default-lease-time 100000;
>
> ...in your dhcpd.conf?

For the particular subnet, I've got this

    default-lease-time 14400;
    max-lease-time 172800;

>   That might help convince the Wii to keep hold of its lease for a
> longer period of time without continuously renewing it every few
> minutes.

Unfortunately that doesn't help.  But I thank you and others for this
suggestion.

I'll try setting min-lease-time (currently unset) to something like
1200 and see if that helps.

>  Otherwise, talk to Sega or whoever about their DHCP client...

You and others have made the same comment.  Even if Nintendo's DHCP
client is obnoxious, I certainly have a greater chance of gaining a
better understanding of what is going on by asking here than by
approaching Nintendo.

Basically what I wanted to know is whether what I'm seeing is anything
to worry about.  The answer is "apparently not".

Cheers,

-j