OSX NFS-Server && FreeBSD NFS Client

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jan 8 09:23:07 PST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 11:01 PM, Konrad Heuer wrote:
>> You really don't want to export a filesystem which itself is being
>> mounted remotely.  If you want to provide SMB filesharing for these
>> files, run Samba on the OS X machine(s) directly.
>
> Knowing all the drawbacks including reduced bandwith, there are some
> important organizational reasons, thus I want to do so. Moreover,
> Samba ist just one application on the NFS clients, although an
> important one.

While I certainly wish you the best of luck, previous experience
suggests that the drawbacks to this approach include not functioning
properly.

NFS is a stateless protocol, except insofar as rpc.lockd in theory
provides lockf/flock style locking over the network-- yet Samba/CIFS
wants to allow extensive use of client side opportunistic locking,
which means that Samba really, really wants to run off of a local
filesystem.

--
-Chuck