is there a /bin/sh method to tell the ending of a file

Gary Kline kline at magnesium.net
Mon Jan 7 23:29:56 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:01:18AM -0600, Jon Hamilton wrote:
> } On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 09:10:58PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> } Paul Procacci <pprocacci at datapipe.com>, said on Mon Jan 07, 2008 [11:34:08 PM]:
> } > Hi All,
> } >
> } > Is there an easy way of determing whether a string//filename ends in
> } > *.gz? using /bin/sh?  I spend around 20 minutes cobbling together
> } > scripts to burn ISO files last night.  Then blindly wasted one CD-R file that
> } > was gzipped..... tar barfs on you,but cdrecord dev=foo.gz writes
> } > exactly that.   I'd like to add a line that yells at me, then gunzips and does
> } > an MD5; then writes.   (In C, no prob; C lets me fly, but not /bin/sh.
> } > But anyway, if any guru can clue me in, thanks. I think my brain is in Maui
> } > for a few days.
> } >
>
> } Is this what you mean?
> }
> } ---------------------
> } #!/bin/sh
> }
> } STRING="mystring.gz"
> }
> } if [ ".gz" = "`echo \"$STRING\" | sed -n 's/.*\(\.gz\)$/\1/p'`" ]; then
> }  echo test;
> } fi
> }
> } -----------------------
>
> Works (I assume) but perhaps easier to read and more "native" might be:
>
> case "$STRING" in
> *\.gz)
>   echo "Found .gz suffix"
>   ;;
> *)
>   echo "Not a .gz suffix"
>   ;;
> esac
>
> Sh is a pretty versatile creature; I'm sure there are a thousand more ways
> all of which work, and some of which will cause religious arguments for
> decades :)

	You may be right since lots of us toss bats or brickbats
	over seriously inconsequential things!   I'm an agnostic--or
	possibly a gnostic--when it comes to the [*koff*]
	``religious args'' and so forth.  ....I like your first method since
	I'm reading a great book called AWK AND SED.  Irecommend it to anybody
	who's into the fine points of sed.  I keep forgetting about the
	"\1" in sed, but still I'm not that far alongto have come up with
	your expression, :-) Impressive,thanks!

	The case/esac block would have occured to me eventully, but not tonight.
	Anywy, the if/predicate case is what I want.  So I  can gunzip, then
	hand off to my cdrecord line and re-gzip.   Plus, yell at me  ...
	or whatever.

	enjoy!

	gary

Gary Kline  Seattle BSD Users' Group (seabug)      | kline at magnesium.net
            Thought Unlimited Org's Alternate Email Site
	    http://www.magnesium.net/~kline
   To live is not a necessity; but to live honorably...is a necessity. -Kant