Fw: help with installation of 6.2 release i386 on older HP desktop

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Mon Jan 7 00:29:45 PST 2008

Joseph Eaton wrote:
> More precisely.  I do select the elements I want ("All" and then "Exit" and then "Install from CD-ROM" and then some files flash before my eyes and then I come to a screen that says: "User Confirmation Requested" and below that "Unable to transfer the base distribution from adc0" and on the next line "Do you want to try to retrieve it again?" and then at the bottom "Yes" or "No" and I can never retrieve it successfully or exit successfully.  Thanks again for your help.

Please have a look at the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-diff-media.html

esp. section 2.13.1

The ISO you downloaded cannot be used for offline (CD-ROM based)
installation. It is intended to pull install files from the Internet.
Download at least the first full cd. Download all the CDs if you plan to
install packages from the disks. Bear in mind 6.2-RELEASE is now a years
old, and the packages in the CD are quite aged. There are other methods
of getting updated programs once the base system is installed. However
as a newbie getting a first feel of the system this is not terribly
important. Please make sure you read the excellent handbook.