[HOW-TO] cvsup for ports -- Re: compact portsnap db

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sun Jan 6 12:59:34 PST 2008

Gerard wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 15:41:35 -0500
> "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> 1. Csup is in the base system thus obvious preferred to either cvsup
>> or portsnap
>>

> Correct me if I am wrong; however, I thought that 'portsnap' was part
> of the base system.

Yes, portsnap is part of the base system, as is csup.
csup and cvsup are equivalent unless you need to create a local
repository (i.e. getting the RCS ,v files)  which is not required for
anyone simply wishing to use the ports tree  for building apps. This
feature is only available in cvsup.
As for the OP, the tag to get the ports for FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE would be:

RELEASE_6_2_0

This is mentioned in the handbook,

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

(the paragraph text in A.7.2)

but may be it is not clear enough, since all the examples that follow
refer to the src tree tags (which start with RELENG)