Two minute pause at acpi.ko message on old HP laptop with 7.0-RC1

Xn Nooby xnooby at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 09:12:13 PST 2008

I have an old zv5445us HP Pavillion laptop, essentially the zv5000
model, which pauses at the /boot/kernel/acpi.ko message during boot.
It hangs there, with a non-spinning ASCII character, for about 2
minutes - then it boots.  I tried entering the following commands in
to the loader.conf to no avail:

   set hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1"
   set hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

I'm currently using FreeBSD 7.0-RC1, but it has the same behavior with
FreeBSD 6.3-RC2.

The machine seems to work okay after that, though I am having other
problems with the screen going blank when I try to configure X.  For
now, I was just trying to eliminate the 2 minute pause on acpi.ko.

Any suggestions?