7.0-PRERELEASE installworld fails

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sun Jan 6 06:48:07 PST 2008

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 06:37:29 -0800 (PST)
Unga <unga888 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:

> > job:
> > > >

> Sure, I'll do it again exactly as above without even
> reboot after make kernel, lets see what happens.

Reboots are needed  - What Boris is stating (and I agree) is frop the
other crap your doing. IE:

"2. After installkernel, I rebooted to single-user mode
with the new kernel, adjkerntz -i, fsck -p, mount -u
/, mount -a, swapon -a, /usr/local/bin/bash and follow
your steps until make installworld."

> As per Chris' reply, I did everything in single-user
> because in my machine I have only 512MB RAM, I use
> KDE, if I compile on multi-user mode it goes into
> swapping and makes the compilation very long.

KDE has nothing to do with this, unless you have /etc/ttys hacked to
start kdm on boot OR you are using root as a common user.

If KDM is not being used, loggin in as root provides a shell - this is
what you ought to be doing.

I hope you not logging in a a user (into KDE) then doing your upgrade in
a term as root.

--
Best regards,
Chris

C-3PO:
	R2 says that the chances of survival are 725 to 1.
	Actually R2 has been known to make mistakes - from time
	to time... Oh dear...