port collection RELEASE6.2 lost after reinstall with CVSUP

Walter Jansen walter.jansen at inter.nl.net
Sun Jan 6 05:46:12 PST 2008

Hi

Upon reading chapters of the Handbook about the Ports collection and CVSup,
I wanted to CVSup the ports collection for the RELEASE  6.2. Stupidly using
the wrong tag (tag=.), I erroneously but successfully installed the CURRENT
version. I could have used SYSINSTALL for the RELEASE 6.2 ports, but for the
sake of learning and training myself I did not.

Problem:

  - I ran CVSup again with the correct tag but though everything in the
process looked normal, the map usr/ports remains empty and nor with whereis
nor with pkg_xxx any information about ports can be found.

Questions:

  - What did I do wrong in the process?.

  - Is cvsup for installation of RELEASE 6.2 ports collection a bad idea
anyway (technically) ?

Proces:

- I use the recently installed cvsup-without-gui, installed from ports

- I deleted all entries and maps in/under /usr/ports (as recommended in the
Handbook)

- I modified the ports-supfile in usr/share/examples/cvsup and copied it to
portswj-supfile  in the same map (not good practice I know now....)

The settings in the -supfile where:

  *default host=cvsup15.FreeBSD.org

  *default base=/var/db

  *default prefix=/usr

  *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_2_0_RELEASE   (the handbook suggests
that this is a valid tag for ports)

  *default delete use-rel-suffix   (I could not find a meaning for this in
the books, anyone can tell me please?)

  *default compress

  ports-all

- I ran:  cvsup -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/portswj-supfile

The conversation looked OK, no error messages but also no scrolling list of
files

There is a logfile in  /var/db/sup ports-all, something like
<nnnnn>.cvs:RELENG_6_2_0_RELEASE. It shows a list of all the elements of the
ports collection that looks normal and every record shows also
RELENG_6_2_0_RELEASE.

Regards,

Walter Jansen