[HOW-TO] cvsup for ports -- Re: compact portsnap db

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 19:31:31 PST 2008

Rudy wrote:
> Michael Lednev wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is there any way to compact /var/db/portsnap other than deleting
>> it and doing postsnap fetch?
>>

> I don't like portsnap -- granted I've never typed the portsnap
> command in my 10 years of FreeBSD use.  I use cvsup!
>
> More info:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>

> QUick HOW-TO Make a file called /usr/src/ports-supfile

Your better off using /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile because
it is pre-debuggeg... also even though I don't use it because the
nearest cvsup mirror is 5 miles away is install fastest_cvsup to find
the fastest host.

> #/usr/src/ports-supfile *default host=cvsup8.FreeBSD.org *default
> base=/var/db *default prefix=/usr *default release=cvs tag=.
> *default delete use-rel-suffix *default compress ports-all
>
> Then, run this command: cvsup /usr/src/ports-supfile
Note if your not going to use the local cvs repository method I use
then you should use csup not cvsup because it comes with the base
system (the semantics are identical to those of cvsup) [the only
difference is csup can't handle "raw" cvs commands thus the
cvs-supfile doesn't work with it]

Make an alias for this that way when you update your sources you won't
lose the host settings if /usr/share/examples/cvsup gets
overwritten... for example my alias is: (I keep a complete local copy
of the cvs repo so I use cvs-supfile instead of ports or standard
[note 1]):

          alias cvsup "cvsup -h cvsup9.us.freebsd.org
/usr/share/examples/cvs-supfile"

> If you don't have cvsup installed, run this command: # pkg_add -r
> cvsup-without-gui

It is better to use all ports or all packages so either do:

cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui
make install clean

or after doing the above do a pkg_delete -a (assuming that your
working with a clean machine [no ports/packages instaleld except cvsup]

> For more info on the supfile, look at this file on your FreeBSD
> machine: /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
>
> Preferring cvsup to portsnap is kinda like preferring vim over
> emacs...  It's a holy war and the vi/cvsup side uses less disk
> space.

Actually it is not like that at all.. cvsup/csup is the officially
preferred method and any other method is a short cut of some kind...
many of them have very subtle issues that the typical end-user should
not notice but should be aware of...

> - Rudy _______________________________________________
> unsubscribe, send any mail to

Notes:

1. I keep a local cvs repository because unlike cvsup/csup straight
cvs will not over write locally modified files (it will do it's best
to merge in newer changes while persevering your local ones)

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems, Java Developer Tools
http://www.flosoft-systems.com