PF and fitering statefull on GIF interface

Norman Maurer norman at apache.org
Sat Jan 5 13:26:03 PST 2008

Hi all,

im using FreeBSD 6.2-p9 on my server which acts as IPSec router using ipsec-tools. This works fine...
But now i need to filter traffic which comes from the local private network to the vpn private network. I tried todo this with pf and using keep state. The return packets just get dropped.
So I reread the gif manpage and read about the IPSEC_FILTERGIF option. I rebuilded the kernel with the option and tried it again. No luck!

So I suspect this option is only valid for ipfw and ipf ?

Any idea how i can use pf + ipsec ( over gif interface ) to filter the needed stuff.
This for example not work:

LOCAL_NET = 10.0.0.0/24
VPN_REMOTE_NET = 192.168.10.0/28

pass proto tcp from $LOCAL_NET to $VPN_REMOTE_NET port 22 flags S/SA keep state

This works:

LOCAL_NET = 10.0.0.0/24
VPN_REMOTE_NET = 192.168.10.0/28

pass proto tcp from $LOCAL_NET to $VPN_REMOTE_NET port 22
pass proto tcp from $VPN_REMOTE_NET port 22 to $LOCAL_NET

Thx for the help

bye
Norman