My sendmail appears to be fixed, advice needed though

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 12:09:02 PST 2008

Hi everybody,

Sorry for this flurry of e-mail from me over the last few days.  This has been
highly frustrating.  At any rate, I think I've worked it out.  Although, I'd
like to have some folks look over this <hostname>.mc file and tell me if the
fix is legitimate.

Basically, the instructions for setting up SSL and Authentication (from
http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/freebsd/sendmail.html) instruct to have
the following lines in the <hostname>.mc file:

define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
define(`CERT_DIR', `/etc/mail/certs')dnl
define(`confCACERT_PATH', `CERT_DIR')dnl
define(`confCACERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
define(`confSERVER_CERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
define(`confSERVER_KEY', `CERT_DIR/mykey.pem')dnl
define(`confCLIENT_CERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
define(`confCLIENT_KEY', `CERT_DIR/mykey.pem')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl

I deleated this line:
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl

And all is working ok now (at least it seems so).  I also went over Josh's
instructions with a finer tooth comb than before (I skipped a couple of steps
because they looked identical to what was in the FreeBSD handbook for this,
but found there were some very subtle differences).  After recompiling and
installing a new sendmail binary per Josh's instructions at the above line, I
actually still have the "can't bind to port" problems, but things are now
working as I said, without that line in the *.mc file.

Is this a viable fix or will I be missing something?  I was able to telnet to
port 25 and send mail that way.  I cannot relay without logging in, so I
think it's fixed.

Andy