FreeBSD 7.0-PRE/AMD64: missing f77/Fortran compiler ...

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 5 08:19:15 PST 2008

O. Hartmann wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> O. Hartmann wrote:
>>> Sorry about the noise, but I miss g77 or f77 on my FreeBSD 7.0-PRE
>>> box. Where is it? Hasn't gcc 4.2 as incorporated in FreeBSD as the
>>> native compiler also a native fortran 90 compiler?
>>
>> No, you need to install the gfortran port.  This is presumably
>> documented in the release notes.
>>
>> Kris
> Thank you for the answer.
>
> Wouldn't it be more convenient for all having both the C/C++ and Fortran
> compiler aboard the operating system since the compiler suite is a whole
> piece?
>
> Well, no offense, but this remembers me on the time when SUN split the
> C-Compiler apart the OS or it looks like the behaviour of many Linux
> distribution even splitting header files apart from the OS. Hope FreeBSD
> will not tend to take apart header files and even the  C compiler ...

No, it's not convenient.  There is a large maintenance cost for keeping
the fortran compiler in the base system for little gain (nothing in
FreeBSD uses it), and it is also only of use to a small subset of
FreeBSD users, so this is a perfect situation where moving it to the
ports collection made sense.

Kris