Upgrading the system: via sources or freebsd-update?

Giorgio Valoti giorgio_v at mac.com
Sat Jan 5 07:57:34 PST 2008

Hi all,
I have a FreeBSD box and I’d like to know the pros and cons of the
base system maintenance using the sources vs freebsd-update.

At this time, I’m using cvsup, following the steps described in the
handbook <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
cutting-edge.html> and it works fine, but I’m curious about the
possible advantages of freebsd-update, in particular the rollback
feature.

Is freebsd-update a better way to keep your system up to date? Should
I stick with the source approach?

Thank you in advance
--
Giorgio Valoti