outgoing mail STOPPED.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 02:50:02 PST 2008

Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Anybody know how I messed up? ---This is no excuse, but because
> 	of the recent build problems I did wholesale ``portupgrades -af''
> 	(**sigh**)
>
> 	Why cannot creat the queue files??

At a guess, either the queue directories for either or both the MSP
and MTA sendmail instances have the wrong permissions or one or other
of MSP, MTA sendmail instances is running with the wrong user credentials.
You shouldn't get that by doing portupgrade -- certainly I've done a few
'portupgrade -af' jobs as part of 6.x -> 7.0 upgrading and not seen
anything similar.

Anyhow, you can check that files and directories have the correct
ownership etc. by:

   # mtree -p / -ef /etc/mtree/BSD.sendmail.dist
   # mtree -p /var -ef /etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist

You can fix any problems by:

   # mtree -p / -U /etc/mtree/BSD.sendmail.dist
   # mtree -p /var -U /etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist

The other thing to check is that you are running sendmail using the
correct users and groups.  You should see something like this:

   # ps -o ruser,rgroup,svuid,svgid,command -p `head -1 /var/run/sendmail.pid` -p `head -1 /var/spool/clientmqueue/sm-client.pid`
   RUSER RGROUP SVUID SVGID COMMAND
   root  wheel      0    25 sendmail: accepting connections (sendmail)
   smmsp smmsp     25    25 sendmail: Queue runner at 00:30:00 for /var/spool/clientm

And that you have the following lines somewhere in /etc/master.passwd:

smmsp:*:25:25::0:0:Sendmail Submission User:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/usr/sbin/nologin
mailnull:*:26:26::0:0:Sendmail Default User:/var/spool/mqueue:/usr/sbin/nologin

and the following in /etc/group:

smmsp:*:25:
mailnull:*:26:

and that the actual sendmail binary (assuming you're using the base system
sendmail and not one from ports) has the following ownership and permissions:

# ls -l /usr/libexec/sendmail/
total 688
- -r-xr-sr-x  1 root  smmsp  686268 Dec 30 13:50 sendmail*

	Cheers,

	Matthew

- --
                                                  Flat 3