Install order?

Brian bri at brianwhalen.net
Fri Jan 4 21:13:00 PST 2008

David Reedy Jr wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm very new to FreeBSD, just installed it for the first time maybe a
> week ago. I've redone it several times since, so feel comfortable in
> the VERY basics. I've got things like ntp, ftp, and ssh configured, no
> problem. Not worried about mail.
>
> I'm setting this machine up as a local internet test server. I need to
> get Apache, MySQL and PHP installed, and I'm worried if there's a
> preferred /required order to get it to work right / at all. FWIW -
> I've checked the handbook, apache.org, php.net, and mysql.com. I keep
> feel like I'm going round in circles.
>
> Also, I've noticed that some of the port versions on this site are a
> little newer that in my 6.2 release. Will I have problems installing
> these instead?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave
Older software has some risk, mainly that a flaw was discovered that a
newer version fixes.  Most FreeBSD people use portsnap or cvsup to keep
ports updated.  Portsnap is easier.  You'll want to use portupgrade, but
there is funk you'lll run into if you try to pkg_add -r portupgrade.
Instead, use portsnap to get a ports tree first, then cd
/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade then make install.

Brian