how to suspend/wake-up a FreeBSD machine?

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 4 08:00:08 PST 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008 03:13:20 am Ian Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Norberto Meijome wrote:
>  > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:51:41 +0100
>  > Henrik Brix Andersen <brix at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>  >
>  > > That depends largely on the hardware - on e.g. ThinkPads you need to
>  > > press the 'Fn' button to wake up the laptop after sleep.
>  >
>  > hmm i think it's not so much the Fn key, u need to do anything that
>  > triggers an ACPI event in the BIOS - like opening the lid , or
>  > pressing Fn. I *think* 'thinkVantage' blue btn should work too.
>
> On my T23 I have suspend/wake on lid switch off (in BIOS), preferring to
> have to use the Fn key to wake.  No other keys do that on mine including
> the ThinkPad key, so then called.
>
> While consulting 'sysctl hw.acpi' about that I see:
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
> which I assume reflects my don't-do-that BIOS setting.

No, that's the FreeBSD default.

> And confirming:
> # sysctl hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=1	# (or =0)
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
> sysctl: hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: Invalid argument

This is because this sysctl is not an on/off, but it takes an Sx state to
suspend to when you close the lid.  So if you set this to S1 it will try to
enter S1 when you close the lid, etc.  For example:

sysctl hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3

Would make it enter S3 when you closed the lid.

--
John Baldwin