mount vs mount_msdosfs - invalid file mode

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Fri Jan 4 01:55:39 PST 2008

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:52:14 +1030
Ben Williams <benw04 at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> The one I want to mount is "drive". I can mount it properly with
> mount_msdosfs:
>
> [root at roma /mnt]# mount_msdosfs -m 666 -M 777 /dev/ad3s1 /mnt/drive
>
> But I'm not sure how to get mount to call mount_msdosfs with the
> right params:
>
> [root at roma /mnt]# mount -t msdosfs -v -o '-m 666 -M 777' /dev/ad3s1
> /mnt/drive
> mount_msdosfs: invalid file mode:  666 -M 777
[...]

Hello Ben,

The right command would be:

  # mount -t msdosfs -v -o -m=666,-M=777 /dev/ad3s1 /mnt/drive

According to mount(8) manpage:

   Any additional options specific to a file system type that is not one
   of the internally known types (see the -t option) may be passed as a
   comma separated list; these options are distinguished by a leading
   ``-'' (dash).  Options that take a value are speci- fied using the
   syntax -option=value.

> This is on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE. I'm a bit of a newbie - this is my
> first FreeBSD install :)

Welcome! :-)

--
Nikola Lečić :: Никола Лечић