How to patch the kernel?

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:06:44 PST 2008

On 1/4/08, RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:53:18 -0500
> "Lyle Scott III" <portcitycs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't have much experience patching anything, really.
> >
> > I was told by the port security/ipsec-tools to patch the kernel if i
> > wanted to use nat-transversals.
> >
> > they provide me with
> > http://vanhu.free.fr/FreeBSD/patch-natt-freebsd6-2007-05-31.diff, but
> > I am now sure how to patch up the kernel so I can do a buildworld.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated.  I took a quick read over the
> > patch manpage, but simply 'patch < file' in /usr/src askes me what
> > file to patch...
>
> Try /usr/src/sys/ instead, that's where the kernel source is.

Keep in mind the next time you do a cvsup it will nuke the patch so
you will have to reapply it... now if you do this often enough you
might want to consider keeping a local cvs repository that way when
you update your sources it will not overwrite the patch... see
develop(8) for some ideas on how to set this up (even though the
source tree layout they suggest is a little weird you just better off
doing cvs -d /home/ncvs update in /usr/src)