Swap partition

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Jan 3 07:49:51 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 05:13:28PM -0800, Eugen Udma wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have FreeBSD installed on my desktop, with 2 GB of RAM and
> 4 GB swap partition and this swap partition is very seldom
> touched by the system and then only 2-3% used.
>
> I want to install FreeBSD on a laptop with 4 GB of RAM and a
> hard disk of 100 GB. Should I waste 8 GB for a swap partition,
> as it is recommended in the handbook?

It is not wasted as swap.
The system uses swap space for both swap and paging.

The traditional reason for making swap be 2X ram is that the system
uses swap for taking a crash dump and that would be enough to handle
all of ram for tracing.

You can get by with less.
If you are not using your laptop for development and if you are not
using it as a server with the usual large proliferation of processes
being forked off for everything, then having less swap may well be
reasonable.   But, note that you are talking only a small percentage
of your Hd space, so it is hardly worth quibbling about.

////jerry