OSX NFS-Server && FreeBSD NFS Client

Konrad Heuer kheuer2 at gwdg.de
Wed Jan 2 22:50:28 PST 2008

I observe a serious problem with NFS exports from a Mac OS X 10.4 server
to FreeBSD 6.2 NFS clients (itself running on DELL PowerEdge 2850 server
hardware).

We use the StorNext distributed file system in which FreeBSD cannot
participate straightly (sorry to say). But OS X can do using the XSAN
software from Apple, so we integrated the OS X server into the StorNext
environment.

We want OS X to NFS export the filesystems to FreeBSD clients, which by
itself for example act as SMB servers using Samba 3.0.x.

After exporting and mounting, everything seems to work well. But when the
system gets under some real life load, NFS-mounted file systems begin
sporadically to hang on the FreeBSD clients without any error message.

On the NFS clients, although some processes are blocked in kernel mode
when accessing files, others still can work successfully. But with
increasing time, the situation becomes worse and worse until we have to
restart the operating system by ungently switching the power off and on
again.

The OS X server seems to be unimpressed by all this.

I'd greatly appreciate any hint or idea what to do. Of course, I did some
experimenting with NFS mount options (-r<size>,-w<size>,-L), but got no
improvement.

Best regards

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2 at gwdg.de