Question about a patch

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 2 08:41:54 PST 2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Valerio Daelli said:
> Hi
>
> I am about to send a patch about a port. I would like to move a
> file of the port, located in the
> 'files/' directory. Basically the file now is called netdisco.sh.in
> and I would like to call it
> netdisco.in.
> If I use a normal 'diff -ruN' command to generate the patch, after
> I apply the patch
> the new file is created but the old file (netdisco.sh.in) is still
> there, with zero size.
> I wonder if I should generate a shar archive for this port instead
> of a patch. Sorry if this question is so simple.
> Bye
>
> Valerio Daelli

That's normal. A unified diff is the preferred way. Whoever commits it
will remove the file. You might make mention of the file in the
comments just to be nice :-)

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html