corporate backers of freebsd

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Jan 2 02:55:40 PST 2008

Gary,

  FreeBSD USED TO HAVE a single large corporate sponsor.  Walnut Creek.
Well, while the upside of this is that you have a pot of money that
can be used to fund advertising ventures, fund a position to act as
the "public" face of the project, etc.  the downside is that this ties
the project to the fortunes of that big money pot.

  When Walnut Creek went downhill it caused a LOT of people who were
using FreeBSD very much consternation.

  This is why today the project basically operates as a completely
distributed project.

  You might as well ask who the corporate sponsor of the Gnutella
network is.  Nobody, and Everybody.  Yet, that network carries
billions of bytes of pirat... I mean, valuable video data, and is
dependended on by many bootleggers.. I mean enterprenuers.  ;-)

  People look at Linux and say "how great it is that Linux has RedHat
to make Linux look "legitimate" to the corporate world.  They forget
that as RedHat is a corporation, it is under a mandate to make a
profit every year.  Well, what happens if the day ever comes that
RedHat starts losing money?  Don't you think that people will suddenly
start thinking that Linux has run out of steam?  I do.

  There is no single corporation that is ever guarenteed to exist
forever, last forever, and remain profitable forever.  History is
littered with large, rich companies that people once upon a time
thought would never ever go out of business - yet they did anyway.

  By contrast, MOVEMENTS in history NEVER run out of steam.  There are
still, today, billions of people dumping billions of dollars every year
into the Catholic Church - despite it's sordid history and current
coverups of pedophiles - and that particular religious movement has been
around more than 2000 years.

  We want to keep FreeBSD operating as a movement.  As long as 1 person
still believes and maintains it, it won't die.  No matter how profitable
or unprofitable it is to run.

Ted