Intel 3945 wpi driver doesn't seem to work ('cause of license problems???)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 01:41:19 PST 2008

vittorio wrote:

> legal.intel_wpi.license_ack=1
>
> is in /boot/loader.conf
>
> BUT
> 1)
> it seems that sysctl is unable to find it and I have to set it via
> kenv legal.intel_wpi.license_ack=1
>
> Shouldn't this variable be set by sysctl or by loader.conf?
>
> 2)
> dhclient is unable to get an IP address (trying to set wpi0 up with a fixed IP
> makes wpi0 not associated to any AP)

Hmmm.... I have a similar setup.  In my case, it's a Dell D800 using
iwi:

% grep iwi /var/run/dmesg.boot
iwi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG> mem 0xfafee000-0xfafeefff irq 9 at device 3.0 on pci2
[...]

and a ZyXEL 660HW router:

                 Menu 24.2.1 - System Maintenance - Information

                    Name: gate.infracaninophile.co.uk
                    Routing: IP
                    ZyNOS F/W Version: V3.40(ACI.7) | 10/18/2006
                    ADSL Chipset Vendor: DMT FwVer: 3.4.1.0_A_TC, HwVer: T14F7_+
                    Standard: Multi-Mode

However I have no problems setting legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1
from /boot/loader.conf -- it could be something as stupid as no
newline at end of file.  Try running 'od -c /boot/loader.conf'
or 'cat -e /boot/loader.conf' to verify.

On the question of the DHCP service provided by this combination router
and wlan hardware, and indeed the whole performance at providing wireless
lan connectivity -- I'm not particularly impressed.  I'd restart the laptop
and everything would be fine for a few hours, but leave it running
overnight and it would lose the lease and end up without an IPv4 address.
IPv6 addresses autoconfigured with rtadvd and rtsol seem quite a lot more
stable but I've seen every combination of being able or not to ping or
ping6 the laptop from a wired machine.

In the end I found that setting the ZyXEL to do DHCP Relay and running
isc-dhcpd on a FBSD box with the lease times increased as so:

default-lease-time 3600;        # 1 hour
max-lease-time 86400;           # 1 day

plus moving the laptop to within about 2m of the ZyXEL seems to have
made quite an improvement.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

- --