Changing work directory of port for make

Chad Kellerman sunckell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 16:02:08 PST 2008

Hey guys,
     I installed Freebsd 7 on a Dell laptop I have.  When I configured the
/usr partition I only gave it 10GB of space figuring that would be plenty.
Well now, since I don't see a pre-compiled version of OpenOffice for  i386,
looks like I have to compile it myself.  No big deal, except when I go to
compile it I run out of disk space on /usr.

    Is there a way I can tell make to create it's work directory someplace
else?  I have more space in home, so if I make a /home/work, can I compile
OpenOffice to use the /home/work directory instead of
/usr/port/editors/openoffice.org-2?

    I tried creating a link for the work directory but that appears to be
over ridden.

Thanks for the help,
Chad