Resolution too high with 7-RC1, nVidia, xorg

Xn Nooby xnooby at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 12:14:14 PST 2008

> Hmm..., this is strange. BtW, after adding modeline, you need to
> restart Xorg. Anyways to get modeline for "1024x768" you can try
> switching to 'vesa' driver temporarily, extract modeline for 1024x768
> From there, and then enter that modeline in xorg.conf. I tried this
> method when I'm having problem setting my old 15" LG Studioworks 452V
> to display 1024x768 without getting clipped.

Using the vesa driver worked - I am able to get 1024x768, though the
fonts are a little weird.  I tried to use the modeline from the vesa
driver with nv, but it didn't work.  If the nv driver is part of the
problem, I will try the native nVidia driver and see how that works.
I've been shutting down and restarting X everytime I try something.  I
made a xorg.conf with the vesa selected by running xorgconfig. Ill try
the native driver and see what happens.

thanks for all the help so far!