Resolution too high with 7-RC1, nVidia, xorg

Nash Nipples trashy_bumper at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 07:57:37 PST 2008

Dear Xn Nooby,

Im not sure if there is such a tool to edit xorg.conf file and limit the maximum resolution.
In gnome desktop there is a graphical tool to switch resolution (System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution)

To make things obvious you will have to take a look at your xorg.conf file
Please do change  dir to its parent folder (cd /etx/X11/) and run
cat xorg.conf | tr -s "\n" | grep -v "#"
that should make your xorg.conf look simple and clear.

There is a sample output below. It is a working xorg.conf
Take a look at the section "Screen" It has
Identifier, Device, Monitor, DefaultDepth options
and 3 Subsections named "Display" for each depth
where the screen resolution modes are listed:
1024 x 7 6 8 <-
800 x 600
640x480

Hint:
One of the following key sequence switches modes on a running server.
CTRL+ALT+KP_- or CTRL+ALT+KP_+
KP_-, KP_+ (those are keypad minus or keypad plus, or gray -/+)

Sincerely,

Nash

Section "Module"
    SubSection  "extmod"
    EndSubSection
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"
EndSection
Section "Files"
    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
     Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "False"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard1"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel"   "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout"  "us"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/ums1"
    Option "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5 6 7"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Philips105B"
    HorizSync   31.5 - 57.0
    VertRefresh 50-100
EndSection
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Standard VGA"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    Driver     "vga"
EndSection
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "S3G IGP PRO"
    Driver      "vesa"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "S3G IGP PRO"
    Monitor     "Philips105B"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"