Resolution too high with 7-RC1, nVidia, xorg

Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल wahjava.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 07:12:24 PST 2008

    Xn> I am having trouble getting X to use a screen resolution that is less
    Xn> than the maximum.  When I edit my xorg.conf to add a DefaultDepth and
    Xn> a Mode of "1024x768", it still comes up at 1280x1024.  I did not
    Xn> create any modeline entries yet, since I'm not sure how to do that.
    Xn> My GUI (icewm) works, but browsing the web creates enormous eye-strain
    Xn> from the high-resolution letters.

    Xn> My hardware is a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop with an nVidia Card. It
    Xn> comes with SATA CD's, so I have to install with FreeBSD 7-RC1.

    Xn> I started by running "xorg -configure", and used the xorg.conf that it
    Xn> generated.  I looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and it had many entries
    Xn> from probing my hardware.  It appears there is some kind of dynamic
    Xn> configuration going on, but I know its using the xorg.conf, because it
    Xn> got an error when I changed the adapter entry from "nv" to "vga".

    Xn> I actually had a similar problem on Ubuntu, and they had some
    Xn> "xorg-reconfigure" program that would let you use less than maximum
    Xn> values.  I was wondering if FreeBSD had something similar.

    Xn> The "DefaultDepth 24" and "Modes "1024x786"" entries are from the
    Xn> online FreeBSD Handbook, I believe I followed the Handbook
    Xn> instructions properly.

    Xn> Am I missing something obvious?  From using Linux, I was expecting the
    Xn> "Modes" values to work.

"TargetRefresh", and "PreferredMode" options, available in recent Xorg
releases (probably since 7.2), you'll require. I'm using
"TargetRefresh" (75 Hz) on my Intel 945G graphics to set my monitor to
display 1440x900 rather than 1280x1024. And this same configuration is
working fine for both FreeBSD 7.0-BETA4 (amd64), and Ubuntu 7.10 (amd64).

HTH
--
Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल                      http://wahjava.wordpress.com/