FreeBSD support this hardware?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Feb 29 08:44:22 UTC 2008

I'm surprised they claim Linux compatability since
I thought Linux required an FPU as well.

FreeBSD 4.X supports these with the kernel option
MATH_EMULATE or GPL_MATH_EMULATE  Later versions of
FreeBSD got rid of that option.

NetBSD 4 still has MATH_EMULATE but it's buggy.  There
was a discussion last month on the NetBSD mailing
list about whether it would be a good thing to fix it.

You could, possibly, recompile FreeBSD (or more
likely, picobsd, see "man picobsd" for information)
with the -msoft-float option to gcc to build a version
that would not require a FPU.   But you still need
an emulator that would supply the floating point
operations. gcc includes (or included) a generic
implementation of these functions in dp-bit.c and
fp-bit.c.  Of course, it would be under the GPL.
Or you could get the FreeBSD 4.11 source and dig up
the ancient emulator that was under the BSD license
and use that.

Here's a thread fragment I found that discusses the
process with regards to building libgcc
http://www.busybox.net/lists/uclibc/2002-May/003404.html

Good luck - some things are better off left dead,
the non-FPU cpus were one of these things.

Ted