FreeBSD 7.0 and VMware tools (was Re: FreeBSD 7RC2 and VMware tools)

Barry Byrne barry.byrne at wbtsystems.com
Thu Feb 28 14:16:37 UTC 2008

> From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of
> pobox at verysmall.org

> I have the same issue with RC3 and with the 7.0 release.
>
> Is this VMware problem (resp. shall we expect them to fix it)
> or FreeBSD
> problem (resp. shall we wait for 7.x until it works).

I've had no problem installing the tools via the ports on 7.0 release on ESX
server 3.0.1.

Get the latest freebsd.iso image from Vmware Server. And use this in the CD
for the VM. Then:

cd /usr/ports/emulators/vmware-guestd6/
make clean install

reboot.

If you want X support the use: /usr/ports/emulators/vmware-tools6

Cheers,

Barry