FreeBSD bind performance in FreeBSD 7

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 28 02:01:52 UTC 2008

(Sorry for top posting.)

Its not actually -that- bad an idea to compare different applications.
It sets the "bar" for how far the entire system {hardware, OS,
application, network} can be pushed.

If nsd beats bind9 by say 5 or 10% over all, then its nothing to write
home about. If nsd beats bind9 by 50% and shows similar
kernel/interrupt space time use then thats something to stare at. Even
if its just because nsd 'does less' and gives more CPU time to
system/interrupt processing you've identified that the system -can- be
pushed harder, and perhaps working with the bind9 guys a little more
can identify what they're doing wrong.

Thats how I noticed the performance differences between various
platforms running Squid a few years ago - for example, gettimeofday()
being called way, way too frequently - and I compare Squid's
kernel/interrupt time; syscall footprint; hwpmc/oprofile traces; etc
against other proxy-capable applications (varnish, lighttpd, apache)
to see exactly what they're doing differently.

2c,

adrian