Freebsd quota & sendmail

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Feb 27 18:41:09 UTC 2008

On Feb 27, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Ofloo wrote:
> I'm putting this under freebsd because there is no forum for
> sendmail, and it
> does concern freebsd as well.

Well, there's comp.mail.sendmail on Usenet.

> My problem is this, when i set quota in /var/mail directory to each
> user and
> this user creates a cronjob, that doesn't forward all data to /dev/
> null, and
> keeps on generating mail, ..
>
> Well after a while the mail file reaches it's quota and sendmail isn't
> allowed to write to that file anymore, so it will start and fill the
> mailq,
> ..

What you've described seems to be normal system operation.  Solutions
include people fixing their cron jobs, having people actually read and
delete their emails before they fill their allocated quota, or
spending more admin cycles cleaning up when you notice someone getting
to this problem condition.  I suppose you could also get more disk
space for /var...

--
-Chuck