argument list too long

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Wed Feb 27 09:16:28 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> what is a limit of amount of arguments passed to program? is it
> hardwired or can be changed.
>
> i found it to be in order of few thousands parameteres

searching google results in an article for linux

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6060

gives some ideas to work arounds, the most radical to recompile the
kernel. Then a sysctl -a seems to indicate it is also a kernel
limitation on FreeBSD:

kern.argmax: 262144

I'm not certain that this is the limit of command line arguments, and I
  haven't tried to set it. Nor is it clear to me if this is the number
of arguments or the number of characters in the argument string. In the
latter case, a "few thousand" argumenst could easily reach that limit.

Cheers, Erik