Capturing dmesg upon system crash on 6.3

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 26 11:50:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 15:41 +0200, Yehonatan Yossef wrote:
> I'm looking into the syslogd capabilities at the moment, it might be
> enough.
> I've tried following the serial console setup you've pointed, but when I
> added the 'console="comconsole"' to loader.conf the OS hanged during
> boot time, had to re-install the system.
>
> I'm currently porting Mellanox ethernet driver, InfiniBand will be
> probably next. Mail me outside this list if you're interested in
> InfiniBand.

The OS probably didnt hang, you told it to send all its output to
comconsole (ie serial port) and not display anything. This might look as
though it has hung. Try (in /boot/loader.conf):

  boot_multicons="YES"
  console="vidconsole,comconsole"

to output to both of them. Also, set the correct tty on your serial
console with something like (in /etc/ttys):

ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure

There will be a ttyd0 line already.

All of this is in the various handbooks.

Cheers

Tom