vpnc problem: protocol not supported?

Jurjen Middendorp jurjenm at stack.nl
Sun Feb 24 14:51:04 UTC 2008

Hello, i am trying to connect to the vpn at university from home.
I have made a new kernel with what i think (thought) was needed for ipsec
from reading the handbook, my kernel file looks like:
include		GENERIC
ident		MYCOMPUTER
options		SMP

options		IPSEC
options		IPSEC_ESP
The kernel build and installed fine, however if i try to connect using vpnc
it gives the following message:
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_RAW, IPPROTO_ESP): Protocol not supported

At the beginning of booting (top of dmesg) it says this:
WARNING: debug.mpsafenet forced to 0 as ipsec requires Giant
WARNING: MPSAFE network stack disabled, expect reduced performance.

I'm not sure what's wrong: am i missing something in the kernel config or
is it something else?? I am using 6.2-RELEASE.

Greetings!
- Jurjen