setting X11BASE

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sat Feb 23 18:33:05 UTC 2008

On Saturday 23 February 2008 18:58:22 perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:

> > > Academic interest :)
> > >
> > > I'm finding it especially "interesting" that /etc/make.conf,
> > > which to judge from its location is part of the base, depends
> > > on a setting from something in the /usr/ports tree.
> >
> > Well, actually it doesn't. What gives you this impression?
>
> Paul Schmehl reported where LOCALBASE is set: in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
>
> Now I'm being told to add this:
>
>     X11BASE=${LOCALBASE}
>
> to /etc/make.conf, so that /etc/make.conf needs LOCALBASE to be set
> in order to set X11BASE correctly.  Is that not a dependency?

You assume make(1)'s variable assignment is done on encounter base at runtime.
It isn't:

# echo LOCALBASE=/usr/local >/tmp/foo.mk

# echo 'X11BASE=${LOCALBASE}' >>/etc/make.conf

# make -f /tmp/foo.mk -V X11BASE
/usr/local

# echo LOCALBASE=/tmp >/tmp/foo.mk

# make -f /tmp/foo.mk -V X11BASE
/tmp

For your academic interest:
gzcat /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz|$PAGER
--
Mel