duplicate message removal

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Sat Feb 23 10:48:42 UTC 2008

We have a bunch of FreeBSD 6.x servers which we administer remotely. As
part of that we get the normal root job mails emailed to a mailing list
which the admins(mostly me) can inspect at leisure and also use for
historical purposes.

Trouble is many of the emails get huge because of repeated messages
typically stuff like

xxx.yyy.com login failures:
Feb 22 20:07:54 app3 sshd[56886]: reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo
for 216-194-26-66.ny.ny.metconnect.net failed - POSSIBLE BREAKIN ATTEMPT!

etc etc

All these servers are running denyhosts, but we still see lots of these
messages.

I was wondering if there's any simple compression script which notices
the repetitions (apart from timestamp) and can remove the many
duplicates etc etc.
--
Robin Becker