tape splitter

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Fri Feb 22 23:07:06 UTC 2008

At 01:23 PM 2/22/2008, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>anybody know program to split data (from stdin) on tapes like that
>
>something|splittotapes /dev/sa0
>
>and then
>
>concattapes /dev/sa0 |something
>

>i know dump do this, but i need other thing to be written to more than 1 tape.

Well sonny in the old days we would create a volume with tar or cpio, then
uuencode it, then run it through split.  You could then move the split
pieces onto removable media and reassemble it on another system.

To put split piece back together you just cat them:
cat split2 split2 > total.uu
then uudecode it to restore the original file.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.