FreeBSD & Linux distro

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Thu Feb 21 21:10:30 UTC 2008

D G Teed wrote:
> As a Sysadmin I have 2 cents to add to this discussion.
>
> I think the whole chest beating, king of the hill, stand taking,
> mantra repeating is juvenile.  There is no superior OS.
> As I do my job I don't start out figuring how I can slide my
> favorite distro into the equation.  The OS is not at the center of
> decision making.  What we want to get done is at the center.
>
> The beginning point is typically the application or service,
> and sometimes the application and service combined with
> the given hardware.  Given these requirements, then we find
> an OS which supports them.
>
> As far as stability is concerned, I can't remember the last time
> something konked out on me because of a kernel bug.  If something
> goes weird these days I'm most often to find hardware is the
> problem.  We currently run over a dozen of each of Redhat Linux,
> Solaris, and FreeBSD, and two Debian servers.
>
> If someone has high uptimes they just don't believe in kernel
> security updates - it is nothing to be proud of.
>
> I'd like to see a resource which promotes intelligent decision
> making coming from the point of view of supporting the application
> or hardware, as this is essentially the angle I believe a sysadmin
> is coming from.  For example, no where in this have I heard a peep
> about backup software.  Anyone serious about IT is serious
> about backup.  Yet there is no support for EMC (Legato)
> Networker in FreeBSD, and this is why our organization is
> migrating away from this FreeBSD.  So for example, you can
> outline what backup options are available compared to Linux.

DTrace is in current 8.0 at least in the restricted version:-) I do not
think that the kind of the people who are
getting information from his web-site need DTrace, ZFS, or ULE. But it
is good to have it.

And of course you are right. Even Windows is an excellent OS if you need
to run CAD and keep your computer away from
the Internet:-)