DJ500 dead after >= 16 years.

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Thu Feb 21 06:03:44 UTC 2008

perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
>>  Guys, I need some input about what kind of _new_ printer to buy
>>  for my desktops.  I'd like to hang the printer off my FBSD box;
>>  my Ubuntu platform is probably too far away. At least 3 meters.
>>

> A few months ago I got a Samsung ML-2571N for well under $100 at
> Fry's.  It is small, light, fast; has a built-in 10/100 network
> port, handles PostScript, and speaks native lpr
What is lpr? Usually printers speak Post Script or PCL printer command
language in which case you need a driver.
LPD, LPRng, and CUPS are different spooling systems.
Did you attach the printer to a computer or is acting as a free standing
printer server.

The driver for that particular printer is just a "generic postscript"
driver included in the ghostscript. However the recommended post script
description file is  *ML-2570ps-ppd *which is included on the CD that
comes with the printer.
According to Linux Printing the printer is NOT included in the
foomatic-db. According to same source OpenOffice
which I do not use has a problem with  ML-2570ps-ppd.

It looks to me as an excellent choice. I liked the fact that the printer
can get IP address as DHCP or via web-interface.
That means that it can act as a free standing printer server. Printer
server alone cost $100-150.

Thank you so much for the info as the price is really great.

Best,
Predrag