Is my hard ware sufficient?

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Wed Feb 20 11:46:57 UTC 2008

Hi,

Lone Wolf wrote:
>>> It is not bundled.  Almost nothing is bundled.
> But it is available in ports and installing it is one of the
> special options during a standard installtion.

it is an option depending on your installation menthod.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong:
> GNOME (or KDE) in included in FreeBSD downloaded file but it isn't installed by default, but it can be installed during installation process if I want to.
> If I'm wrong, does this mean that I have to connect to Internet during FreeBSD installation?
> Thanks.

There are several ways to install FreeBSD.

The simplest would be the download of an ISO image of for the first CD,
burn it and boot the machine with it.

You can then install all packages from the CD without an Internet
connection.

Normally, all the things needed to have a decent computer are on this
CD. GNOME was earlier always included.

After FreeBSD is up and running, you can install the ports system and
install any program from the ports collection via an Internet connection.

Erich