FreeBSD & Linux distro

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Wed Feb 20 00:46:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 08:49 -0700, Chad Perrin wrote:

> > > FreeBSD isn't both desktop or server system. it is just unix - it depends
> > > from the user how it's being used.
> >
> > True. But looking at it from a newbie point of view the statement helps
> > give it perspective. I have to translate for people all the time and I
> > know this works.
> >
> > We all know that FreeBSD whoops linux's ass, but as to how it does this
> > is beyond most newer users. :P
>
> The way you phrased it makes it sound like FreeBSD is simply unsuited to
> use as a desktop system.  Contrary to that impression, I'm sending this
> from a Thinkpad laptop with FreeBSD on it, and it's by far the best
> "desktop" OS I've ever had the pleasure to use.

Me too. But you have to be more enabled to get a lot of the software the
is wanted on a desktop system working. Case in point: Gnome is not
automatically installed (or kde or any other wm). Web browsing can be
tricky because you have to get wrappers for plugins and so on. For you
and me- we don't mind because we know the result will be fantastic, but
others who just want to get on with it it can be a pain.

Therefore, I'd say a desktop version of FreeBSD would be better
described as a workstation. Considering we're comparing to Ubuntu, I'd
say thats a fair statement.