IPv4 loopback address is missing, why?

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 22:37:07 UTC 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 1:14 PM, Dominique Goncalves <dominique.goncalves at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Feb 16, 2008 6:41 PM, Andrew Falanga <af300wsm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > On my father's computer there isn't an IPv4 loopback address being
> assigned to
> > the lo0 interface.  What would cause this?  I've looked at his configs
> and
> > they're the same as on my system (obviously something is different, but
> > don't know what).  I see in his /etc/defaults/rc.conf the "ifconfig_lo0"
> line
> > is *NOT* commented out or otherwise altered and his file looks the same
> as
> > mine (at least on this point, I haven't contrasted the two entirely).
> >
> > So, why would his system not be configuring an IPv4 loopback address?
>  After
> > bootup, I can add the address manually using ifconfig.
>
> Do you have
> network_interfaces="something" in your /etc/rc.conf ?
> If so you need also to add lo0.
>
> Hope this helps

His machine does have it in /etc/defaults/rc.conf (I assume this is where
it's supposed to be because my /etc/rc.conf file doesn't have it either but
I do have it in /etc/defaults/rc.conf), but not in /etc/rc.conf.  Basically,
his rc.conf files look nearly identical to mine (mine works).  I didn't look
closely at this /etc/hosts file as the other respondent mentioned but I
will.

Andy

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.