thankee, thankee!

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Feb 19 20:26:39 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 19 February 2008 08:16:57 Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:20:47AM -0500, William Bulley wrote:
> > According to Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com>:
> > > Before you go down this road too far, you should take a look at Python
> > > as an implementation language. If what you're doing involves text and
> > > string manipulation, Python is loaded with good modules that will make
> > > your task a snap. Having coded extensively in many assemblers, C,
> > > BASIC, ... I now find myself reaching exclusively for Python when
> > > writing applications and utilities unless the task at hand must have
> > > the performance of native C. Try it ... you'll be shocked how fast
> > > your program comes together.
> >
> > Might the same not be said for Perl?
>
> Yes . . . and Ruby.  I prefer both over Python, for different reasons,
> personally.

Gotta laugh at most of this  considering that I understand that we tend to
favor what we're most familiar with.  I've been lazing along for several
years since I've gone back to school--sort of.   During my last lifetime I
was trapped into learning perl and forced myself to get into C++ because
much of my work required these languages.

Can you guys, or anybody else, point me to some comparison sites for python
and ruby?  I just found one abandoned freeware suite in ruby that may be just
what I'm trying to do.  The deal is: do I want to invest months (from 2 to 3)
in learning another language/ or port from ruby to C? or take the Java
functions and re-write or translate them to C?

Still, first thing is to get the algorithm down and tested.

--
Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix