accessing a jailed samba server

Josh bsd at kajs.co.nz
Tue Feb 19 03:33:41 UTC 2008

I am having dramas with samba in a 6.3 jail

Basically the part that is not working, is I cant ping/resolve the
netbios name of the samba box from any windows machine. There is a linux
samba box here, and I tried the same config as that, and no go.

Baiscally if I try and ping it from a windows box, I get this:

 >ping bytecart
Ping request could not find host bytecart. Please check the name and try
again.

Nothing in nbtstat -c relating to the samba box.

The weird thing is that I can see the samba box in windows explorer in
the network places. Clicking on it obvious says 'network path not found'
or such. I can manually map the network drive by going
\\1.2.3.4\username though.

Also, this seems odd (from netstat -an):

udp4       0      0  192.168.94.9.138        *.*
udp4       0      0  192.168.94.9.137        *.*
udp4       0      0  192.168.94.9.138        *.*
udp4       0      0  192.168.94.9.137        *.*

So yeah, any ideas?

Cheers,
	Josh