32 bit and 64 bit freebsd binary compatiblty

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Feb 18 16:49:25 UTC 2008

> I checked in usr/local/ and didnt find the lib32 folder, so i guess they are
> nt installed .
>
> Why do i need them ? can u put some light on it ?

I'm not sure of the details why you need them, but no ia32 program that
I've seen runs properly on amd64 without.

If you're running a release version, you can run sysinstall, then go to
configuration -> distributions and select to install.

You can also build/install world and this should grab them by default.

> On 2/18/08, Norman Maurer <norman at apache.org> wrote:
> >

> > Am Montag, den 18.02.2008, 20:42 +0530 schrieb navneet Upadhyay:
> > > it and 64 bit RHEL.
> > >
> > > We are porting the product to FreeBSD and when we tried the same,
> > > i.erunning binaries compiled on 32 bit FreeBSD
> > > 6.2 on 64 bit FreeBSD system they produce *core dump.*
> > >

> > > Any known reasons, do we have to compile binaries on 64 bit machine.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > Do you have the lib32's installed ?
> >
> > bye
> > Norman