fdisk from fixit CD: geom not found

NetOpsCenter noc at hdk5.net
Sun Feb 17 20:07:19 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> Boot install CD and choose Fixit
>
> get live CD, it's better for this.
>
>> fdisk -BI
>> extract saved disklabel from tape and install with bsdlabel
>> Initialise filesystems using stored output of dumpfs -m (from tape)
>> Restore filesystems from tape
>
> good you have such i plan. this is rare case today;)
>

>> I'm tripping up on the first step, which although it appears to
>> create the
>
> you forgot to bsdlabel -B ad0a (or da0s1a whatever you have) after
> restore
>
>> slice, throws a ``Geom not found'' message - which is potentially
>> worrying to
>> someone blindly following a recovery script.
> no idea, i don't use slices (just disklabel)
>
> maybe kernel module not loaded?
>
> is slice actually created?
>
> as far as i remember i've got this message with bsdlabel -B, but i
> ignored it as everything worked fine.

Aloha,

I get that response with many of the large hard drives I install. I dont
think it means anything because once you just carry on FreeBSD doesn't
seem to care. I think somebody posted that it was either bios or drive
size related at one time.

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org + noc at hdk5.net +
  + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* +